CONSTRUCTION VOLUNTEERING – NO SUMMER CONSTRUCTION
Volunteers are needed on the construction site on Saturdays between 8am – 4pm. Walk up volunteers are accepted Saturday but must commit to work one of three shifts (8am – 12pm, 12:30pm – 4pm, or all day 8am – 4pm). Mid-week work teams are utilized on an “as needed” basis. For mid-week opportunities, please contact the Volunteer Services Director.
Make sure you have a completed waiver
If you have any questions, please contact our Volunteer Services Director at 281-403-0708 ext. 305
CONSTRUCTION SITE HOST
A Construction Site Host serves as the volunteer host at the construction site. Duties include but are not limited to: set up sign-in and refreshment tables, set out supplies, greet volunteers as they arrive, assist volunteers with sign-in and completion of volunteer information forms, clean up, remind volunteers to sign-out when leaving and thank them for coming.
- All construction and ReStore volunteers must be age 16 or older to assist on a Fort Bend Habitat for Humanity construction site or in our retail store.
- One adult supervisor should accompany every seven youth volunteers (ages 16-18). Adults are responsible for assuring all applicable Fort Bend Habitat for Humanity construction site and age restriction policies are followed.
- Closed-toe tennis shoes or boots are required.
- Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty are strongly encouraged, anything that you do not want to get stained, painted or dirty is not. Wear comfortable clothing that is appropriate for a work site. Light colored, cotton clothing and a hat are recommended for the summer (shorts are okay). Layered clothing is recommended for the winter.
- Jewelry is not allowed, because it can get damaged or lost very easily. Please leave your valuables at home! There is no storage space at the construction site!
- Suggested items to bring if you have them: work gloves, earplugs and safety glasses. You’ve only got two eyes, and you need to protect them. You can get a good pair of safety glasses at home center stores. We have safety glasses and work gloves on site as well.
- Do not bring: purses, pets or children under 16 to the construction site or the ReStore.
- No smoking, drugs or alcohol are allowed at the construction site, the administrative offices or the ReStore.
- Volunteers under 18 years of age MUST bring a waiver of liability that has been signed by their parent/guardian, with them to the site.
- Volunteers are asked to not park in front of anyone’s driveway or mailbox.
- Radios and IPOD’s are not allowed on the construction site or the ReStore, as they are a distraction and can cause a safety hazard.
- Construction locations, workdays and assignments are subject to change due to the unpredictable nature of volunteer construction work. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated so that we can ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all.
- We encourage and ask all of our volunteers to embrace our community partners and neighbors as you build with us on site. As you work with us, please remember to remain mindful of your environment and utilize sound judgment at all times. If you have any concerns or questions, please communicate with the Construction Supervisors working on the site.
Are you looking for an opportunity to give back to the community while doing something you enjoy? To show appreciation to the hard working construction volunteers, Fort Bend Habitat provides lunch Monday and Saturday. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator if you are interested in providing lunch for a work crew of 30-50 volunteers.
Group volunteers are welcome to assist with Construction, the Habitat ReStore, and various special projects. On-site construction work is the most popular of Habitat’s volunteer opportunities. Each year dozens of alumni groups, businesses, houses of worship, professional organizations, and schools participate on the FBHFHwork site!
Group volunteers are scheduled on a first come-first serve basis. We have group volunteer opportunities Tuesday-Friday and on Saturdays.